Independently performs a wide range of routine and specialized laboratory tests, specimen preparation and highly skilled experimental procedures for research studies and diagnosis of disease. Utilizes specialized laboratory equipment and analysis of the data generated by this equipment.
Embodies the Hospital’s core values in all interactions with patients, families, and colleagues.
The statements below describe the essential duties of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs routine and highly specialized or unique laboratory experiments for specific research projects, using sophisticated and intricate research equipment and techniques. Performs and devises specialized experiments and research procedures, troubleshooting problems with own and other researchers’ results.
- Provides input to the overall research design to suggest techniques, maximize samples or refine data by the use of specialized techniques. Evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve quality of the results.
- Calculates, graphs and compiles data obtained, maintaining records and logs of work performed; perform statistical analyses. Undertakes quality assurance of research techniques. Calibrates, troubleshoots and performs repair of maintenance equipment. Evaluates and recommends new equipment and supplies needed for specialized procedures. Assists other lab personnel with the use of specialized equipment and techniques within the lab.
- Trains and provides guidance to technicians, residents and researchers in specialized procedures, use of equipment and theoretical bases of unique tests. Monitors the sterilization of glassware, media and reagent making and other laboratory processes.
- Prepares articles and papers on specialized techniques.
Stays abreast in safety procedures, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious, corrosive, radioactive and toxic s
Minimum Education and Experience
Work requires the knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree AND a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience OR Masters of Science and 2 yrs relevant work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Work requires the analytical skills to resolve complex problems requiring the use of scientific, mathematical, or technical principles and in‑depth, experienced‑based knowledge.
- Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing including assigning and distributing work, coaching, training and enforcing policies.
Certification, Registration, or Licensure Required
Physical Requirements of the Job
- Work requires frequently lifting and carrying patients/children and/or objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Work requires regularly sitting, stooping and bending.
- Work requires regularly reaching and grasping objects at, above and below shoulder level.
- Work requires regularly grasping and fine manipulation with hands.
- Work requires regularly proofreading and checking documents for accuracy.
- Work requires regularly inputting/retrieving words or data into or from an automated/computer system.
Blood Borne Pathogen Category
Potential Exposure. Job may require performance of tasks that involve potential exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues. Tasks that do involve exposure are not an expectation of employment.
Boston Children’s Hospital or Dana Farber Cancer Institute are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
300 Longwood Ave
Boston, MA 02115
- Research and Science